Here at Ride Dingle HQ we’ve been thinking about how we can celebrate our national tongue for Seachtain na Gaelige 2020. So, we’ve really pulled out all the stops and come up with 6 phrases you’ll get great use out of at Ride Dingle next month.
1.Ní dhéanfadh an saol capall rása d’asal (nobody can make a racehorse out of a donkey).
2. An rud is annamh is iontach (the thing that’s seldom is wonderful). Particularly useful when contemplating the awesomeness of Dingle and the wonder of Slea Head and the Conor Pass.
3. Is fada an bóthar nach mbíonn casadh ann (it’s a long road that has no turning, in other words, things never go completely smoothly or badly!).
4. Ní mhaireann rith maith ag an each i gcónaí (the steed does not keep his speed forever).
5. Is olc an ghaoth nach séideann do dhuine éigin. (It is a bad wind that does not blow (bring good) to somebody (no matter how bad something that happens, someone will benefit.)
The top of our list and likely relevant to a lot of participants on the day:
7. Níl aon tóin tinn mar do thóin tinn féin. (There’s no sore ass like your own sore ass.) Also, really just a funny word play on the famous Irish saying Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin.
Imigigh agus bi ag caint as Gaeilge….
Go n-eirí an t-ádh leat!
Many thanks to Kieran of www.gaelicmatters.com for allowing us to share some of these great expressions.